We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
- Ginger biscuits
A warmly spiced biscuit that will warm the cockles of your heart. Enjoy with a hot mug of tea.
19 people made this
- 100g caster suger
- 175g black treacle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 125g butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 450g self-raising flour
MethodPrep:45min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:55min
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar, treacle, ginger, mixed spice and cinnamon to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in bicarbonate of soda. Add butter and still until melted.
- With a fork, beat in egg, then gradually add the flour. NOTE: The dough will appear crumbly, but once you start kneading, the dough will come together nicely.
- Wrap 1/2 dough in cling film and let sit at room temperature. (This prevents the dough from drying out). Roll the other 1/2 dough to 5mm thick (or to your desired thickness) and cut with your favourite cutters.
- Place gingerbread onto baking trays lined with baking parchment and bake in preheated oven at 190 C / Gas 5 for 10-15 minutes.
Perfect gingerbread biscuits
Check out our guide to Perfect gingerbread biscuits for tried-and-tested tips to make gingerbread biscuit baking fun and easy!
Watch our How to make gingerbread men video to see how to make perfect gingerbread biscuits every time!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(7)
Reviews in English (10)
Unconventional method, and yes, it IS self-raising flour. Very easy and quick to make, not very sweet (perfect for us), and cooked quickly. I'd make it again.-11 Jul 2014
Added extra ginger and sugar in this recipe was a bit sticky at first but I added extra flour then chilled for half an hour reduced the black treacle to 150 gram it's still turned out pretty sweet. But added cinnamon sugar just before going in the oven . I loved how fragrant they were . Got a 9 out of ten from family .I got 30 out the batch I made.-04 Apr 2018
Quick and easy. I don't have treacle so I use golden syrup instead and I use brown sugar. It turns out great too. Thank you for sharing the recipe.-23 Nov 2011(Review from this site AU | NZ)